Laughing in Church
I'm a member of the generation that is known as "The Emergent Church"
By age this is accurate, but by preference it seems irrelevant and untrue. Let's talk doctrine for a few minutes.
After much research and exegetical analysis, the consensus falls between the lines of abiding¹ and classical (Grecco-Roman) Orthodoxy. I cherish the idea of a real and living God, a God who presents himself in three equal capacities, with grace at the center of his being. I respect his authority and desire his loving mercy -- the distinct qualities that equate him to be Father and protector of mankind.
That being said, I reluctantly admit that I laughed in church today. Why, you ask; isn't church a solemn place that evokes reverent silence? Perhaps the most honest answer I can give you is that I laugh because I don't believe some of the things my church leaders express. Recently I have noticed a trend in older members of the faith that causes them to snub young adults who attempt to enter the carefully-organized hierarchy of religion that they have built. Unfortunately, this same divisive line of thought helped me decide to stop attending the young adult bible study that meets before the Sunday morning service.
I laughed today because one man in particular seems to speak in paradoxes, as if one statement will correct the others, should we happen to prefer one to the other. First he speaks to us as children, then adamantly declares he perceives us as adults. Confusion runs rampant among the listeners.
We were recently labeled the "GAP" ministry, because we were told that our age group is "forgotten" in the church system. Lovely. I agree with them on this, but it pains me to think that one day, when the elders are gone, we will be forced to construct our own theories of church and worship that may produce a similar outcome. No good, I tell you.
So how do you blend age groups in a spiritual context? The first step is to ditch the pride that is attached to hierarchy and age. While age does imply wisdom, a proud demeanor does not evoke respect. Lose the attitude. (Ironic, isn't it, that not too long ago you shoved this exact phrase into our teenage psyche?) The next steps involve opening your heart to guiding and teaching our (wayward) hearts how to live in communion with God, how to reach out to our neighbors (believers or not), and how to live a life of peace and submission. Yes, we want to do and be all of these things, but we might need a little help. I don't say these things lightly, as I myself am constantly interacting with younger believers at work and at home. I believe that God has called us to be living examples of him. Isn't it about time we try to fulfill that call?
1. Church and faith are ever-present elements in daily life, the church does not reside in a building but in the hearts of a community of believers
By age this is accurate, but by preference it seems irrelevant and untrue. Let's talk doctrine for a few minutes.
After much research and exegetical analysis, the consensus falls between the lines of abiding¹ and classical (Grecco-Roman) Orthodoxy. I cherish the idea of a real and living God, a God who presents himself in three equal capacities, with grace at the center of his being. I respect his authority and desire his loving mercy -- the distinct qualities that equate him to be Father and protector of mankind.
That being said, I reluctantly admit that I laughed in church today. Why, you ask; isn't church a solemn place that evokes reverent silence? Perhaps the most honest answer I can give you is that I laugh because I don't believe some of the things my church leaders express. Recently I have noticed a trend in older members of the faith that causes them to snub young adults who attempt to enter the carefully-organized hierarchy of religion that they have built. Unfortunately, this same divisive line of thought helped me decide to stop attending the young adult bible study that meets before the Sunday morning service.
I laughed today because one man in particular seems to speak in paradoxes, as if one statement will correct the others, should we happen to prefer one to the other. First he speaks to us as children, then adamantly declares he perceives us as adults. Confusion runs rampant among the listeners.
We were recently labeled the "GAP" ministry, because we were told that our age group is "forgotten" in the church system. Lovely. I agree with them on this, but it pains me to think that one day, when the elders are gone, we will be forced to construct our own theories of church and worship that may produce a similar outcome. No good, I tell you.
So how do you blend age groups in a spiritual context? The first step is to ditch the pride that is attached to hierarchy and age. While age does imply wisdom, a proud demeanor does not evoke respect. Lose the attitude. (Ironic, isn't it, that not too long ago you shoved this exact phrase into our teenage psyche?) The next steps involve opening your heart to guiding and teaching our (wayward) hearts how to live in communion with God, how to reach out to our neighbors (believers or not), and how to live a life of peace and submission. Yes, we want to do and be all of these things, but we might need a little help. I don't say these things lightly, as I myself am constantly interacting with younger believers at work and at home. I believe that God has called us to be living examples of him. Isn't it about time we try to fulfill that call?
1. Church and faith are ever-present elements in daily life, the church does not reside in a building but in the hearts of a community of believers
Comments
Post a Comment