A Love for the Nations (As Edited for HGU Student Publication)

"Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession." Psalm 2:8
By Hannah E. Rogers, LeTourneau University Exchange Student

I have read that, "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Ps 139:16) and am continually amazed at how much he knows. Before I was born, God knew I would like science experiments, he knew that I would enjoy sports, and he knew that I would love South Korea. Wait, what? South Korea?

I first considered becoming an exchange student to Handong in the fall of 2006, shortly after discovering that my roommate was an exchange student from HGU. During our brief time together, I was fascinated by stories of her home (JeJuDo), her friends, and the infamous kimchi. Deep in my heart, God was planting seeds for a future that I, at the time, considered impossible. Without my knowledge, God opened doors academically, financially, and spiritually for me to answer the call.

On February 22, 2008, I successfully answered. In the middle of Incheon International Airport, after twenty-one hours on an airplane, I stood in awe of God's greatness (or maybe I was dazed by jet lag?) for several minutes before returning to reality and the taxi driver who patiently awaited my direction. My journey to Pohang was a blurry one and, before I knew it, I finally arrived at Handong. To my relief, I came a few days before orientation and used the time to collect my thoughts and explore the empty campus.

Life quickly changed with the beginning of HanST; I moved into my dormitory, met my new roommates, and was daily introduced to new sights, sounds, and tastes. International student orientation, Korean team orientation, and the beginning of classes kept me busy through the following weeks. I am, to this day, unsure how many hours I slept, or if I slept at all, during that time. My passion for learning as much as possible was only fueled by my love for these people that I hardly knew. I could barely speak a word of Korean, but we were friends through a shared love in God.

The past three months have taught me so many things. First, I can handle a moderate amount of Korean food. Translation: I like spicy, but breakfast, by order of my sanity, must remain sweet. Second, I am not perfect when I speak Korean, but it really is fun to try new words and phrases. Third, I have a greater appreciation for Korea after learning some of the history, visiting national landmarks, and exploring the vast countryside of rice fields, hills, and rivers. Fourth, shower shoes and slippers are very different things. Fifth (ok, I told you I learned a lot), always, always, always, pay attention! Free information is a valuable thing.

Being surrounded by so many unfamiliar things has not been as intimidating as I expected, but I do miss my family (I have lots of sisters; I can show you pictures if you want to see!). I am comforted once again by Psalm 139; knowing God is with me ushers out the fear and doubt and reassures me that I made the right choice. I am confident, you see, in the fact that God loves me and knows the desires of my heart. When I asked for the nations, I meant it. I was – am – pleased to be in South Korea, to know so many compassionate Korean students who are also fellow brothers and sisters in the faith, and to see my future coming together right before my eyes. My exchange at Handong is, sadly, coming to an end. That does not mean, however, that the call has vanished or that I will love South Korea any less. In fact, I am looking forward to going home and serving in the Korean church in our neighborhood. It is my hope to one day return to Korea to visit friends and, if God leads, to live and work in the country that has given me so much joy for the past three months.

Comments