Shoe Box Letters
I've been going through some boxes of my old stuff, mostly letters and books and pieces of paper for this and that. As I was shuffling through a box full of letters, a solitary piece of folded notebook paper fell to the floor next to me. What's this? I held the paper in my hand for a few moments while debating whether or not I should read the contents of the mystery note. I carefully unfolded the creases, still hesitant. I scanned the signature only to find that it was from an old boyfriend, my first love.
As I read, I started to cry. His words came from a time we chose to be apart to work out some differences, a time that now seems far away. Who we were then has disappeared -- he's off in the military now, fighting someone else's war and I'm here waiting for the next flight to South Korea. We've both moved on in our relationships, and I wouldn't want it otherwise. I do wish that I could see him again. I wish I could tell him just how much he meant and how sorry I am for hurting him.
I slowly folded the note again and placed it back in the shoe box. I closed my eyes and spent a few minutes talking to God. Sometimes we aren't given all the tools we need for a certain task, but God has a reason for even this. I've learned a lot about love in the past three years, many things I wish I had known back then. I am certain, however, that I needed that experience before I could truly desire to know and love and be loved by my Father. I am weak and always will be, but, oh, what a mighty God I serve.
Psalms 19 & 20
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
3 There is no speech or language
5 which is like a bridegroom
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
10 They are more precious than gold,
11 By them is your servant warned;
12 Who can discern his errors?
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
14 May the words of my mouth
1 May the LORD answer you
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
3 May he remember all your sacrifices
4 May he give you the desire of your heart
5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious
6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
8 They are brought to their knees and fall,
As I read, I started to cry. His words came from a time we chose to be apart to work out some differences, a time that now seems far away. Who we were then has disappeared -- he's off in the military now, fighting someone else's war and I'm here waiting for the next flight to South Korea. We've both moved on in our relationships, and I wouldn't want it otherwise. I do wish that I could see him again. I wish I could tell him just how much he meant and how sorry I am for hurting him.
I slowly folded the note again and placed it back in the shoe box. I closed my eyes and spent a few minutes talking to God. Sometimes we aren't given all the tools we need for a certain task, but God has a reason for even this. I've learned a lot about love in the past three years, many things I wish I had known back then. I am certain, however, that I needed that experience before I could truly desire to know and love and be loved by my Father. I am weak and always will be, but, oh, what a mighty God I serve.
Psalms 19 & 20
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
3 There is no speech or language
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
5 which is like a bridegroom
coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat.
7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD
are sure and altogether righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.
11 By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can discern his errors?
Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.
14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight, O LORD,
my Rock and my Redeemer.
1 May the LORD answer you
when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
and grant you support from Zion.
3 May he remember all your sacrifices
and accept your burnt offerings. Selah
4 May he give you the desire of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.
5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious
and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the LORD grant all your requests.
6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
he answers him from his holy heaven
with the saving power of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
8 They are brought to their knees and fall,
but we rise up and stand firm.
Comments
Post a Comment