Immigration and Security

While reviewing several public blogs that address the subject of Immigration and Security, it occurred to me that the American public cannot come to terms with outsiders until we talk about our own insecurities. One blogger, in reference to RealID, commented,
"REAL ID doesn't go into effect until three years after it becomes law, but I expect things to be much worse by then. One of my fears is that this new uniform driver's license will bring a new level of "show me your papers" checks by the government. Already you can't fly without an ID, even though no one has ever explained how that ID check makes airplane terrorism any harder. I have previously written about Secure Flight, another lousy security system that tries to match airline passengers against terrorist watch lists. I've already heard rumblings about requiring states to check identities against "government databases" before issuing driver's licenses. I'm sure Secure Flight will be used for cruise ships, trains, and possibly even subways. Combine REAL ID with Secure Flight and you have an unprecedented system for broad surveillance of the population. Is there anyone who would feel safer under this kind of police state?" -Bruce Schneier
Do we honestly know what's going on here? Half of America has never heard of RealID and we certainly should not be voting for something we are clueless about. My purpose behind researching this topic is to find how to effectively inform myself and others as to what our country is doing, specifically concerning immigration. The future is at stake here, why wait for the information to come to me? I want to know my world in such a way that I don't miss kairotic moments.

Comments